This is a deceptively simple salad with complementary flavors: the nuttiness of the Brussels sprouts and pecans, balanced with the tanginess of the cheese and light, bright notes from the lemon juice.
And it’s so easy!
Great as a snack or as a side. I often serve it as a first course, paired with my Creamy Mushroom Fettuccine.
1 lb. Brussels sprouts, washed and peeled as necessary
1 cup pecan halves
1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese, finely grated
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small skillet, toss pecans over medium high heat for a few minutes until they are lightly toasted, but not blackened. Sit aside in a small bowl.
2. Shred sprouts either on a mandoline or by hand (I did the latter this time). You want thin slivers of bright green sprouts.
3. In a large bowl, toss all ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve immediately as a fresh, cool salad. Add more cheese as garnish and drizzle with warm bacon dressing (below) if desired. It’s also perfectly delicious without dressing.
This slaw will keep for a day or so in the refrigerator, but is best fresh.
Warm Bacon Dressing
1 Tbsp bacon grease
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp horseradish sauce
dash black pepper
1. In a small skillet, warm bacon grease over low heat. Stir in vinegar, sugar, and horseradish and cook for a minute or two. Add bacon, stir, and pour into container or directly onto salad.