4 zucchini, washed and diced
1 large red bell pepper, washed and diced
2 medium yellow onions, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 3/4 cups vegetable broth
salt and pepper, to taste
sour cream, to taste
chili powder, to taste
1. In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Gently saute the garlic for a couple of minutes, then throw in the onions and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until fragrant and soft, stirring constantly.
2. Remove garlic and onions into large soup pot and set aside. Add zucchini and peppers to skillet and saute for about ten minutes, or until they just begin to brown. Remove a small handful of these and set aside.
3. Pour the rest of the vegetables into the soup pot, add vegetable broth, and heat just to boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and allow to cook for about twenty minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove the soup, in batches if necessary, into a blender or large food processor and puree to desired thickness (I usually prefer smooth soups). Return the pureed soup to the pot. Stir in salt and pepper as desired.
5. Make sure the soup is well mixed and heated throughout, then ladle out into serving bowls. Sprinkle some of the reserved zucchini and pepper cubes on the top, add a dollop of sour cream, and finish with a light dash of chili powder. Serve immediately.
Serves 4-6. Reheats well.